Although we are still a few months out from our due date, I am nothing if not prepared. So I have been working on packing my labor and delivery hospital bag so it's ready to go when we are. The last thing I want is to go into labor and be tossing random items frantically into a bag. And while I can't pack absolutely everything (like my toothbrush) just yet, I have made a list in a note on my iPad of these last-minute items so I can refer to it when the time comes and feel prepared.
So today I thought I might share with you what I am packing in my hospital bag.
What's In My Hospital Bag
- Photo I.D.
- Insurance Card
- Lip Balm (this one provides moisture and a little color)
- Massage / Body Lotion
- Button-Down Nightshirt (so I don't have to wear the scratchy hospital gown)
- Bathrobe (I love this pink one because it will help me feel fresh and pretty for when guests visit)
- Slippers (I'd rather avoid having to walk around the hospital floors barefoot)
- Cozy Socks (to keep my toes warm)
- Camera (to document our sweet baby's arrival)
- iPad + Long iPhone Charger Cord (so we can text all our family and friends once she's finally here)
- Baby Book (so we can get baby's handprints and footprints)
- 2 Boxes of Chocolates (one for the day-shift nurses and one for the night-shift nurses)
For Our Hospital Stay
- Sleeping Bra
- Nursing Bra
- Nipple Balm
- Nursing Pillow (I'm excited to hold her but I'll bring this just in case my arms get tired)
- Loose Button-Down Pajamas (just in case I want to switch to more coverage once she's born)
- Cozy Drawstring Pants (to wear home in the event of an emergency c-section)
- Maternity Panties (just in case those mesh panties they give you aren't comfortable)
- Throw Away Flip Flops (to wear into the bathroom and shower)
- Bath Towel (the hospital are small, tough and scratchy)
- Plush Blanket (the hospital blankets are really thin)
- iPad + iPad Case (for reading material)
- Noise-Canceling Headphones (for either Ben or I to use in order to relax)
- Toiletries (makeup, toothbrush + paste, deodorant, dry shampoo, hair tie, face wash, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, razor)
- Snacks (the hospital meals are decent but I like to snack)
- Coming Home Outfit (I plan on wearing these soft + comfortable Lululemon 'Align' Pants and a loose-fitting tank)
- Infant Car Seat (I plan on installing it beforehand and having our local fire department check to make sure I did it properly)
- Swaddling Blanket (to make our baby feel like our own)
- Coming Home Outfit (I love this hat + footie because it's soft and has hand covers so she won't scratch her face)
- Car Seat Blanket (since she'll be coming home in the Fall)
- Baby Nail File (in case the hospital doesn't provide)
- Pillow (to feel more comfortable and get some proper shut-eye)
- Plush Blanket
- Handheld Massage Aid (in case his hands get tired when I request a massage haha)
- Slippers or Sandals (to throw on when he needs to quickly get up)
- Toiletries (toothbrush + paste, eye drops, chapstick, hair paste)
- Hat (my husband is a hat guy and loves to throw one on when he doesn't feel like doing his hair)
- Cozy Clothes (to sleep in)
- Change of Clothes (fresh clothes will feel nice after a shower)
When it comes to your hospital bag, it's easy to overdo it. But just remember that if you forget something, a friend or family member can easily bring you whatever else you need. The most important item that you pack is your infant car seat, since you can't bring baby home without it.
There's no need to bring your expensive jewelry, your breast pump or any diapers or wipes since the hospital will provide those as needed. But one luxury item I do plan on bringing is my iPad (PS, how cute is this Incipio translucent floral case, available at Verizon) to use as light reading material, entertainment for my hubby if he needs and even to use to count the time between contractions (yes, there's an app for that).
What did you pack in your hospital bag?